Day 3

There is a little girl in my parish who dreams of being an Olympic swimmer.  While listening to her story I was reminded of the games in London last summer.  Watching on television was a glimpse into another world: the world of athletes trained, analyzed and groomed into perfect specimens.  I sometimes felt as if I were watching characters from a science fiction film.  When you hear the broadcasters describe their backstory it is almost a relief to hear that some of them have taken time off to recover and regroup after years of grueling training and competition.  When you look into their faces and their almost desperate glimpses at the scoreboards after competition I read sadness not joy.  Even in triumph I observe relief that all of this might finally be over.

Among the events I witnessed on television was the water polo.  I marveled at the athlete’s ability to tread water for such long periods of time.  And not only treading water but also simultaneously strategizing, balancing, surprising and striving.  And even when the ball is not in play, they need to tread water to keep afloat.  It is a metaphor for certain expressions of life today.  I often feel that families are treading water.  The expectations for family life appear herculean.  There are those rare family exceptions who choose to step away from extraneous activities of modern family life and choose instead to embrace a simpler and more manageable lifestyle.  It takes a certain courage to take such a step, the courage to be different, to not necessarily participate, to not “keep up” or do what others expect you should.  Such a person is unafraid to grab on to the side of the pool and rest awhile as all the others are treading, treading, treading

This entry was posted in Catholic, family life, God and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Day 3

1. Diane Turner says:

While I love receiving your homilies for Sundays, I’m so loving these snippets of life on the edges.
    Thank you for your decision to do this, and so pleased that you have carved out the time.
    Missing you here in Capitola

2. Diane Turner says:

I’m so happy you have found time to write these snippets of life on the edges. While I will continue to enjoy your Sunday homilies, I’m thrilled to have these, too.
    Missing you here in Capitola.

3. CHRISTINA says:

HOW INSPIRING! I, too will begin our blog now that we have FINALLY arrived at our SPELLO,ITALY home!!!
    United in prayer…and the JOY OF OUR ADVENTURES!!!
    Christina, Lorenzo ( now!!! ) and OCEANA Luna ( meow )

4. Phil Fuhs says:

What a blessing to have been able to participate in your mission here in Crossville Tn. and to receive the Sacrament of the Sick from you. Your stories have touched my son Nick and I in so many ways. We look forward to hearing more. God Bless You and your Ministry.

5. Daphne says:

So glad to hear that you have found a place that offers you peaceful moments and the beauty of nature. I miss your insightful homilies which helped me to find the holy in the ordinary moments of life. Aa well as, most importantly, guidance on how to handle the people and situations that I encounter. You are missed and irreplaceable.

6. Pam Zweifel says:

We are so glad you chose us! You do bring great joy!