Day 60 White/Write Out

Where was I?

What was I saying?

You know, before I was so rudely interrupted….by a BLIZZARD!

That’s right sisters and brothers; the Country Priest drove a car through a blizzard in the Dakotas!   I have never been near a blizzard or given thought to what such a phenomenon might be like.   Well it’s like this:  you are driving a vehicle into blowing snow and suddenly the snowstorm becomes a blanket that covers the entire world.   You no longer have a sense of the distinction between the earth and sky.  Everything is silent, white and deadly.  And it is unclear where you are or how to navigate.  You’ve lost your bearings and wonder if you will ever return to a safe place?  Life sometimes feels like a blizzard of storms and confusions – deaths and rebirths.  We feel lost and then miraculously found: threatened and then safe.

After Christmas I stopped writing in my Journal of a Country Priest.  Originally it was because I was traveling, preoccupied, taking care of my Mother and driving into blizzards.   And then one week becomes another and as the days flashed by I found myself questioning the reason for the journal and became blinded by the possibility of its irrelevance.  What is my purpose?  And what does God and the reader desire?  These compelling questions are unanswered but I suspect revelation is not to be found in unproductive pondering but in writing, telling stories and asking questions as I strain my ear to hear the tiny whispering sound of God’s voice as I drive through the storm.

A strong and heavy wind
was rending the mountains and crushing rocks
before the Lord – but the Lord was not in the wind.
After the wind there was an earthquake – but the Lord was not in the earthquake.
After the earthquake there was a fire – but the Lord was not in the fire.
After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound.
When he heard this,
Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went and stood at the entrance of the cave.
Book of Kings~
This entry was posted in Catholic, Christianity, family life, Peace, Spirituality. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Day 60 White/Write Out

1. Lisa B says:

Welcome back…I’ve missed your entires! For me they are a reminder to stop, breathe, be mindful and thankful for the many blessings I’ve been given. With love, Lisa B.

2. Brenda Sorensen says:

Well I, for one, miss your beautiful and powerful words…..or should I say, hearing God’s words through your……fingertips!! I’m glad you are safe…..and back in the beauty of California! Please know that everything you have written has been so VERY relevant. Whether it applies to me at that point in time, or perhaps something I recently experienced or, best of all, remember your words for future life situations……I love hearing them!

3. Wm 'Gus' Gocella says:

Fr. Matt, Welcome to 2014 and the rest of civilization. I knew there was a good reason and waited patiently until you returned. I used to drive in those terrible snow storms from the Great Lakes snow effects. Every day for 12 years until one day….I decided to retire and move to TN. God lives here also and I knew he lived in PA because HE/SHE took care of me in all kinds of weather. I am happy you are back safely and look forward to your journal. Ciao!

4. Sylvia Deck says:

Welcome back! I’ve been waiting too. It’s always worth it — your blog, waiting, listening. I want to hear more about that storm.

5. Pam Zweifel says:

YIKES!!! I am so glad you survived driving in the blizzard you discribed. Write when ever the Spirit moves you. I am always enriched and encouraged by your words.

6. Carol Rummel says:

I think we’ve all missed you. Sometimes it is difficult to see how God is working through us to touch someone’s life, but please know that you are doing just that. Glad you found your way home. Hopefully you’ll find your way back to Crossville some day soon.

7. andy says:

I think I need to talk to you. This is weird. Andy

8. Sue says:

😊Glad you’re back! Love sharing my morning coffee with your stories.

9. June Smith says:

I’m thinking you got your answer about whether your posts have a purpose!

10. Sue H says:

Even the silence is “grist for the mill”. Good to see your words & share in your journey!

11. Jim Heitzig says:

Well, certainly the question remains: What the “hell” (pardon my French) were you driving in a blizzard????? Certainly not to hear God’s tiny whisper. Aside from that obtuse comment, you were deeply missed because, like your friends above, your thoughts were deeply missed. They were missed because they make your readers pause and reflect. We in the secular world do not do enough of that. Whatever is on your mind is of importance to my soul because every day is a blizzard in which I am always searching. Prayers and love for your ministry.

12. Karen Vaden says:

You bring a snow white perspective of God and His teachings to a dark world. I have missed your words of wisdom and strength. I do hope the blog brings you joy and peace that you give to others. God uses you to touch so many Father Matt. Thank you for taking the time to share with us what God is showing you!!

13. Mary t Christensen says:

So glad you are BACK I have missed your very special prospective on things and events.
    Mary